Monday, April 6, 2009

The Easter Bunny and Paid Sick Days

Jenna was a student at a community college in Salinas where she was taking a class in community organizing. She also was interning at an Easter egg farm.

Jenna enjoyed working with the workers on the farm and taking care of the Easter bunnies. Jenna smiled while the Easter bunnies painted eggs bright colors and made baskets. Jenna then heard a loud sneeze. She looked up and saw a bunny with a runny nose.

"You're sick," said Jenna. "You should go home and get some rest."

The bunny shook her head and sneezed again. "I can't go home," cried the bunny.

"Why not?" asked Jenna.

"I can't afford to take time off," said the bunny.

"You don't have any bills," said Jenna.

"Yes, I do," said the bunny. "I have my own place and I have to pay rent and buy my food."

"Don't you have paid sick days?" asked Jenna.

"When I worked in San Francisco, I had paid sick days," answered the bunny. "But I had to move a few months ago."

"Why?" asked Jenna.

"My grandmother lives in Salinas. She got sick and she needed someone to take care of her," answered the bunny.

"Well, it's good that you're taking care of your grandmother," said Jenna. "But you really need to take care of yourself."

"I told you before that I can't," said the bunny. "Besides I need to help with painting the eggs and making baskets."

"If you do that, you'll get the kids sick," said Jenna.

"That's a good point," said the bunny. "But I don't know what to do."

"Maybe we can talk to the head bunny," said Jenna.

"But she's busy," said the bunny. "She probably doesn't have time to talk."

"I'll talk to her," said Jenna. "I'll be back in a few minutes."

Jenna then left. The bunny blew her nose a few times and closed her eyes.

When the bunny opened her eyes, she saw Jenna who had a big smile on her face.

"Great news," said Jenna. "The head bunny has agreed to give you paid sick days. She doesn't want you to get the kids sick. So you can go home now and get some rest."

"Thank you for your help," said the bunny. "I'm going to rest and hopefully I'll be better before Easter."

"That's great," said Jenna.

"Is there anything I can do for you?" asked the bunny.

"When you get better, please sign the petition for paid sick days for California workers."

"I will do that," replied the bunny.

No comments:

Post a Comment