Monday, January 5, 2009

Little Red Riding Hood, the Wolf and Paid Sick Days


Little Red Riding Hood was on her bike on her way to her grandmother's house. In her basket, she had soup, crackers and juice to help her grandmother feel better. Over the past few days, her grandmother had been sick with the flu and she hadn't been able to go into work.

Little Red Riding Hood stopped at a red light on Hen Road in Inglewood. She felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned around and a saw a wolf who introduced himself.

Little Red Riding Hood said, "Grandma told me not to talk to wolves because they eat people."

"Not me," said the wolf, "I'm a vegetarian."

"I've never heard of a vegetarian wolf," said Little Red Riding Hood. "Are you lying to me?"

"I'm telling the truth. When I used to eat meat, my cholesterol and blood pressure were out-of-control. Plus, I had no energy. It got so bad that I couldn't even walk a block. Now, that I've given up meat, I've lost weight and I can run three miles with no problem," replied the wolf.

"Wow, wait until I tell my grandma this," said Little Red Riding Hood.

"My no people diet has done wonders," the wolf said proudly.

"So what do you want?" asked Little Red Riding Hood.

"I heard that your grandmother has paid sick days," said the wolf.

"That's true," replied Little Red Riding Hood, "That's why she's able to stay home with the flu and not worry about her bills."

"I need paid sick days at my job," said the wolf, "I work with a bunch of wolves at this meat factory and they won't let us take time off when we get sick."

"You're a vegetarian and you work at a meat factory," said Little Red Riding Hood.

"I've got make a living," said the wolf, "And with the recession, I'm glad that I have a job."

"I guess I'm lucky. I'm in school so I don't have to worry about looking for work," said Little Red Riding Hood.

"At work, it gets kind of nasty when the wolves come in sick," said the wolf. "Sometimes we sneeze into the meat when we are packing it."

"Gross," said Little Red Riding Hood. "Maybe you should call the food inspector."

"We did," said the wolf, "But the company still wouldn't give us paid sick days."

"My grandma told me about this petition for paid sick days for workers in California. You and the other wolves should sign it."

"Are paw prints, okay?" asked the wolf.

"Sure," Little Riding Hood answered. "Here's the link to the petition for paid sick days."

"Great," the wolf said. "I'll tell all my co-workers about the petition."

No comments:

Post a Comment